||Rahamim (Rami) Seliktar, Ph.D.
[Update My Profile]
Vice Director, School of Biomedical Engineering, Science & Health Systems
Office: Bossone 718-A Email: email@example.com
Phone: 215.895.2357 Fax: 215.895.4983
Personal Web Page: Click Here to Visit Personal Web Page
Laboratory Web Page: Click Here to Visit Laboratory Web Page
Rehabilitation engineering, Limb prosthetics, biomechanics, human motion, orthopedic biomechanics, assistive technology
Rami Seliktar earned a Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering and a Master’s of Science degree in applied Mechanics, at the Technion, Israel Institute of Technology. His Doctoral degree in Bioengineering was earned at the University of Strathclyde, in Scotland, UK. Throughout his professional career, Dr. Seliktar held academic appointments in several institutions worldwide. Upon Graduation, The Scottish Home and Health Department awarded him an R&D grant for further development and testing of his PhD ideas in the area of Lower Limb Prosthetics and Human Performance. He was offered a position at the University of Strathclyde and remained on board for two more years, after which he decided to accept a faculty position in his Alma Matter; The Technion, IIT. He spent the subsequent nine years on the faculty at the Technion, climbed through the academic ranks and was awarded tenure. He was one the founding faculty members of The Julius Silver Institute of Biomedical Engineering in the Technion and was concurrently involved in consultation to the Israeli Department of Defense (Veterans Affairs), the National Center for Prosthetics and Orthotics and in 1973 he founded and directed the first Human Gait Analysis Laboratory in Israel, at the Loewenstein Rehabilitation Hospital. The Lab was a combined Research and clinical examination enterprise that during the ensuing years produced a substantial amount of scientific knowledge and clinical examination data. While serving as a faculty member at the Technion, Dr. Seliktar also spent a sabbatical leave at Texas A&M University and initiated his Joint academic and research work with Drexel University and Moss Rehabilitation Hospital in Philadelphia. Prof. Seliktar’s work in the Technion and the Loewenstein Rehabilitation Hospital had a substantial impact on the management and delivery of prosthetic limb services in Israel. In 1983 he resigned his position at the Technion and accepted a faculty position in Mechanical Engineering and Biomedical Engineering at Drexel University, where he is presently a full professor since 1987 and a Vice Director of the School of Biomedical Engineering Science and Health Systems.
During his 30 years tenure at Drexel University, Prof. Seliktar was instrumental in the foundation of the School of Biomedical Engineering, Science and Health Systems. He has done research on limb prosthetics, human performance, orthopedic and occupational biomechanics, assistive technology for persons with disabilities, and vehicle dynamics. His research has been funded by the NSF, NIH, the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, the Easter Seal Foundation, NIDRR, Alfred I. duPont, the United Cerebral Palsy, some industrial enterprises, and medical institutions. He has published more than a 150 articles in scientific journals, book chapters, and conference proceedings and is serving on a number of international editorial boards.
Professor Seliktar is a Fellow of the American Institute of Medical and Biological Engineering.
B.Sc. Mechanical Engineering; Technion, Israel Institute of Technology
M.Sc. Applied Mechanics, Biomechanics; Technion, Israel Institute of Technology
Ph.D. Bioengineering; University of Strathclyde, Glasgow, Scotland, UK
Active Research Projects:
Biomechanics of the musculoskeletal system; Human performance with artificial limbs and powered orthotic systems; Assisstive technology for individuals with physical disabilities; Clinical evaluation and quantification of sensory-motor impairment in lieu of Injury, congenital malformation and neuromuscular accidents; Human exposure to vibrations, impulsive forces and occupational injury.
• Editor in Chief; Journal of Bioengineering and Biomedical Science
• Editorial Board Member; Journal of Biosensors & Bioelectronics
Representative Archival Publications
• Seliktar, R., "A Self-energizing System for Above-Knee Prosthesis," J. of Biomechanics, Vol. 4, pp. 431-435 1971.
• Seliktar, R., "Self-energizing Systems in Orthotic Design," Advance in Orthotics, E.G. Murdoch, 1977, Edward Arnold Publishers, London, England, pp. 203-208.
• Seliktar, R., "An Alternative for the Conventional Above-Knee Prosthesis," Rehabilitation, 83, 31-34, 1972, (U.K.).
• Seliktar, R., "Telescopic Artificial Leg," Excerpta Medica, No. 281 (ISBN 90 0213), 134-141, 1973.
• Seliktar, R., "Telescopic Above-Knee Prostheses, Development and Evaluation," Israel Journal of Technology, 12 (5), 285-289, 1974.
• Seliktar, R., Susak, Z. and Najenson, T., "A New Approach to the Above-Knee Leg Prosthetics for Elderly Amputees," Israel Journal of Technology, 13, 218-224, 1975.
• Seliktar, R. and Kenedi, R.M., "A Knee-less Leg Prosthesis for the Elderly Amputee Advanced Version," Bulletin of Prosthetic Research (BRP10-25), 97-119, 1976.
• Laufer, D., Goldberg, P., Gutman, D. and Seliktar R., "The Zigomatic Bone Fracture and its Treatment," International Journal of Oral Surgery, 34, 445-447, 1976.
• Foux, A., Seliktar, R. and Valeiro, A., "Effects of Lower Body Negative Pressure on the Distribution of the Body Fluid," Journal of Applied Physiology, 41, (5), 719-726, 1976.
• Bar, A., Seliktar, R. and Susak, Z., "Pneumatic Supracondylar Suspension for Knee Disarticulation Prostheses," Orthotics and Prosthetics, 31, 3-7, 1977.
• Seliktar, R., Susak, Z., Najenson, T. and Solsi, P., "Dynamic Features of Standing and Their Correlation with Neurological Disorders," Scandinavian Journal of Rehabilitation Medicine, 10, 59-64, 1978.
• Bar, A., Eden, G., Ishai, G. and Seliktar, R., "A Method of Numerical Differentiation of Kinematic Data," Proceedings of the International Seminar of Biomechanics of Sport Games and Sport Activities, 1978. Edited by A. Aialon, Ph.D., p. 39-45.
• Susak, Z., Bar, A., Onna, I. and Seliktar, R., "Prostheses for Through-Knee Amputations," Harfuah 95, 280-281, 1978.
• Katz, K., Susak, Z., Seliktar, R. and Najenson, T., "End Bearing Characteristics of Patellar-Tendon Bearing Prosthesis", BPR 10-32, 55-68, 1979.
• Seliktar, R., Yekutiel, M. and Bar, A., "Gait Consistency Test Based on the Impulse Momentum Theorem," Prosthetics and Orthotics International 3(2), 91-98, 1979.
• Seliktar, R., "The Use of Impulse Momentum for Quantification of Gait Disorders", Proceedings of the 4th International Congress of the International Society for Electrophysiological Kinesiology, (Boston, 1979). C. DeLuca Editor, pp. 224-225.
• Seliktar, R., Bar, A., Susak, Z. and Najenson, T., "A Below-Knee Prosthesis for Very Short Stumps," Orthotics and Prosthetics, 34 (1), 25-35, 1980.
• Susak, Z., Katz, K. and Seliktar R., "Persistence of Waddling Gait after Total Hip Replacement for Congenital Dislocation of the Hip," Scandinavian J. of Rehabilitation Medicine, 12, 113-114, 1980.
• Elad, D., Seliktar, R. and Mendes, D., "Synthesis of Knee-Joint Endoprosthesis Based on Pure Rolling," Engineering in Medicine, 10 (2), 97-105, 1981.
• Seliktar, R., "Integrated Movement Control of Shoulder Disarticulation Prostheses; a feasibility study." Proc. of the 1980 World Congress of the ISPO, Bologna, Italy, p. 23.
• Seliktar R., Mizrahi, J. and Susak, Z., "Computer Aided Dynamic Alignment of Below Knee Prostheses," Use of Computers in Aiding the Disabled, J. Raviv Editor, North Holland Publishing Co., pp. 87-95, 1982.
• Siegler, S., Seliktar, R. and Hyman, W., "Simulation of Human Gait with the Aid of a Simple Mechanical Model," J. Biomechanics, 15 (6), 415-425, 1982.
• Seliktar R. and Susak, Z., "Limits of Applicability of Force Plates in Clinical Examination of Human Movement," Agressology, 24, (2), 149, 1983.
• Seliktar R. and Mizrahi, J., "Partial Immobilization of the Ankle and Talar Joints Complex and its Effect on the Ground-Foot Force Characteristics," Engineering in Medicine, 13(1), 5-10, 1984.
• Mizrahi, J., Susak, Z., Bahar, A., Seliktar, R. and Najenson, T., "Biomechanical Evaluation of an Adjustable Patellar Tendon Bearing Prosthesis," Scandinavian J. Rehab. Med. 12, 117-123, 1985.
• Block, J., Siegler, S., Schneck, C. and Seliktar, R., "Mechanical properties of the Ligaments of the ankle joint". Proceedings of the 38th ACEMB, p. 149, 1985.
• Mizrahi, J., Seliktar, R., Bahar, A., Susak, Z. and Najenson, T., "Gait Performance and Dynamic Characteristics of Weight Bearing on the Patellar Tendon in PTB Prostheses," Biomechanics 1X-A, 581-586. D.A. Winter Editor, Human Kinetics publishers, 1985.
• Seliktar, R. and Mizrahi, J., "Gait Characteristics of Below-Knee Amputees and their Reflection in the Ground Reaction Forces," Engineering in Medicine, 15 (1), 27-34, 1986.
• Mizrahi, J., Susak, Z., Seliktar, R. and Najenson, T., "Alignment Procedure for the Optimal Fitting of Lower Limb Prostheses," J. Biomedical Eng. 8, 229-234, 1986.
• Seliktar, R., Mizrahi, J., Vachranukunkiet, T., Besser, M. and Kuenzig, D., "Human Performance With Prosthetic Devices and Surgically Modified Skeletal Elements". Automedica, 11, 145-162,1989.
• Rahman, T. and Seliktar, R. "Kinematic Analysis of a 4 D.O.F. Prosthetic Arm, Using Extended Physiological Proprioception". Proc. 12th Ann. IEEE-EMBS Conference, 1990.
• Batman, M. and Seliktar, R. "The Effect of Muscle Contraction on the Dynamics of Car Passengers During Frontal Collision". BED Vol. 20, Advances in Bioengineering, ASME, p. 605-608, 1991.
• Batman, M. and Seliktar, R. "Characterization of Human Joint Impedance During Impulsive Motion". Journal of Electromyography and Kinesiology, 3 (4), 221-230, 1993.
• Sharda, A. N., Kamel, I. L. and Seliktar, R., "A Hydrophilic Self-Anchoring Composite for Orthopedic Devices". Proceedings of the 1994 Annual Meeting of the American Society for Biomechanics, Columbus, Ohio, Oct. 1994.
• Rahman, T., Ramanathan, R., Seliktar, R. and Harwin, W., "A Simple Technique to Passively Gravity-Balance Articulated Mechanisms", ASME Transactions on Mechanisms Design, 117(4), 655-658 (December 1995).
• Fass, D., Rahman, T. and Seliktar, R., "An Evaluation of Residual Shoulder Function as an Input to a Variable-Impedance Assistive Robotic System". Proceedings of the 1995 annual RESNA conference, Vancouver, B.C. p. 520-522.
• Rahman, T. Stroud, S., Ramanathan, R., Alexander, M., Seliktar, R. and Harwin, W., "Task Priorities and Design for an Arm Orthosis". Technology and Disability 5, 197-203, 1996.
• Seliktar, R., Key Note Lecture: "Gait Analysis, Past Trends and Future Potential" Proceedings of the First Mediterranean Congress of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 130, May 1996.
• Lipnick, A.J., Jacobs, S.R., Cotler, J.M. and Seliktar, R., "Emergency Care in Patients Wearing a Body Cast", Arch. Phys. Med. Rehabil., 77,722-725,1996.
• Rao, Raghavendra S; Seliktar, Rami; Benvenuto, Patricia, “Performance analysis of upper limb motor function in children with disabilities” Journal of Rehabilitation Research and Development, June 1, 1996.
• Esquenazi, A., Talaty, M., Seliktar, R. and Hirai, B., "Dynamic EMG During Walking as an Objective Measurement of Lower Limb Orthotic Alignment". Basic an Applied Myology 7(2), 103-110, 1997.
• Sarver, J.J., Smith, B.T., Seliktar, R. Mulcahey, M.J. and Betz R.R., "Controlling FES with Shoulder Motion: A Study of Adolescents with C4 Level SCI.", IEEE Transactions on Rehabilitation Engineering, 7(1), 27-34, 1999.
• Seliktar, R., Ramanathan, R., Rahman, T. and Alexander, M., “Evaluation of Functional Capabilities of People with Muscular Dystrophy as Potential Users of Powered Orthoses”. BED Vol. 42, 637-638, 1999.
• Sarver, J. and Seliktar, R., “A Study of the vibromyographic (VMG) signal as a means for quantifying muscular effort” the Hong Kong Physiotherapy Journal, 18(1), 33-36, 2000.
• Rao, R.S., Seliktar, R., Rahman, T., “Evaluation of an Isometric and Position Joystick in a Target Acquizition Task for Individuals with Cerebral Palsy”. IEEE Transactions on Rehabilitation Engineering, 8(1), 118-125, 2000.
• Ramanathan, R., Eberhardt, S.P., Rahman, T. Samplle, W., Seliktar, R. and Alexander, M., "Analysis of Arm Trajectories of Everyday Tasks for the Development of Upper Limb Orthosis". IEEE Transactions on Rehabilitation Engineering 8(1), 60-70, 2000.
• Rahman, T., Sample, W., Seliktar, R., Alexander, M. and Scavina, "A Body-Powered Functional Upper Limb Orthosis", VA Journal of Rehabilitation Research and Development, Vo. 37 No. 6, pp 675-680, Nov/Dec 2000.
• Talaty, Mukul, Esquenazi, Alberto, Seliktar, Rahamim: Assessment of compensation response and synergy in braced walking. Gait and Posture 16 Supp 1, S99 September 2002.
• Conti, R. and Seliktar, R., “Modeling of the Response of a Seated Vehicle Occupant to Impulsive Motion Perturbations” Proceedings of the conference of the Inernational Society of Biomechanics, Zurich, July 2001.
• Rahman T., Ramanathan R., Stroud S., Sample W., Seliktar R., Harwin W., Alexander M., Scavina M., “Towards the Control of a Powered Powered Orthosis for People with Muscular Dystrophy”. Journal of Engineering in Medicine (British Institute of Mechanical Engineers), Vol 215 Part H, 267-274, 2001.
• Gefen, A. and Seliktar, R. “Trabecular Architecture of the Human Calcaneus Conforms the Isostatic Stress Flow”. Medical Engineering & Physics, 26, 119-129 (2004).
• Lim, D., Seliktar, R., Sun, W. Holman, J. and Nunes, L. " Finite Elements Modeling of the Shoulder Complex using the Data Obtained from Musculo-skeletal model and Computerized Tomography” Biomedical Engineering: Recent Developments. J Vossoughi (Editor), ISBN: 1-930636-01-6; © 2002 Medical and Engineering Publishers, Inc.
• Stepanskiy, L and Seliktar, R., “Predicting fracture of the femoral neck”. Journal of Biomechanics, Volume 40, Issue 8, 2007, Pages 1813-1823
• Lim, D., Seliktar, R., Wee, JY., Tom, J. and Nunes, L., “The Effect of the Loading Condition Corresponding to Functional Shoulder Activities on Trabecular Architecture of Glenoid”. Journal of Biomechanical Engineering APRIL 2006, Vol. 128 / 251-258
• Lim, DY., Seliktar, R., Wee, J “Suggestion of a New Approach for Prediction of Potential Trabecular Architectural Variation (Remodeling) on the Glenoid”. Submitted to the IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering (acknowledges receipt of the following manuscript: No. TBME-00453-2006).
• Rahman T., Sample W., Jayakumar S., King M., Wee JY., Seliktar R., Alexander M., Clark A., “Passive Exoskeletons Assisting in Limb Movement”. VA Journal of Rehabilitation Research, JRRD, Volume 43, Number 5, 2006, 583-590.
• Rahman T, Sample W, Seliktar, R., Scavina M, Clark T, Moran K, Alexander M " Design and Testing of a Functional Arm Orthosis in Patients With Neuromuscular Diseases" IEEE Trans. Neural Systems and Rehabilitation Engineering 15(2), June 2007, 244-251
• Sarah Rosen Ph.D.1,2, Rahamim Seliktar Ph.D1, Carole A. Tucker Ph.D3. ßAnalysis of Ground Reaction Force Components During Ambulation in Typically Developing Children and in Children with Cerebral Palsy
• Dohyung Lim, Han-Sung Kim, Jung-Sung Kim, Rami Seliktar and Sung-Jae Lee; “Mapping of the morphological and the material characteristics on the glenoid and estimation of predominant loading condition on the glenoid through the mapping” Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology, Volume 23, Number 2, 409-419, 2009.
• Stepanskiy, L Mizrahi, J. and Seliktar, R., “Representing Bone Remodeling & Fatigue Failure as Queueing Phenomena”. Submitted to the Journal of Biomechaqnics, 8/2010.
• Navit Roth1, Rami Seliktar2 and Joseph Mizrahi1; “Mechanical Impedance Control in the Human Arm while Manually Transporting an Open-Top Fluid Filled Dish”. Journal of Applied Bionics and Biomechanics, 8 (2011) 393–404.
• Jinyong Wee, Tariq Rahman, Robert E. Akins, Rahamim Seliktar, David G. Levinec, Dean W. Richardsonc, George R. Dodged, Ahmed M. Thabete, Laurens Holmesb, William G. Mackenzieb, “Using distraction forces to drive an autodistractor during limb lengthening”. Medical Engineering & Physics 33 (2011) 1001– 1007.
• Seliktar, R., "Biomechanics of Prosthetic Gait" a chapter Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, State of the Art Review, A. Esquenazi, Ed., Hanely & Belfus, Inc. p. 89-107, February 1994.
• Seliktar, R. and Bo, L., "Kinetics of Human Gait". A book chapter in "Gait Analysis: Theory and Application", Craig and Oatis Editors, Mosby Publishers, p.223-238, 1995.
• Seliktar, R. and Sarver, J. J., “Measurements in Biomechanics”, book chapter in “Clinical Biomechanics”, Z. Dvir, Editor, Curchil Livingstone Inc., Publishers, 2000.
• Tariq Rahman, Whitney Sample, Rahamim Seliktar "Design and Testing of WREX" Book Chapter in Advances in Rehabilitation Robotics, Z. Zenn Bien and Dimitar Stefanov (Eds), Springer-Verlag 2004.
• Tariq Rahman, Whitney Sample and Rahamim Seliktar, Design and Testing of WREX, Book chapter in: Advances in Rehabilitation Robotics; Human-friendly Technologies on Movement Assistance and Restoration for People with Disabilities, Lecture Notes in Control and Information Sciences, Volume 306/2004, p 243-250, Springer Berlin / Heidelberg, August 2006.